Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Baker Within

A few weeks ago my dad said that he was more excited about Christmas food than Christmas presents. Being the good daughter that I am, I asked if there was anything he would like me to make. His request was a blueberry pie. The only problem I had with this was that I don't particulerly like blueberries...or pie.. I especially don't like pie crust, to me it's thick, bland, gritty and soggy all at the same time. Bleh.
So I hunted around on the Martha Stewart website for something better and found blueberry mini tarts. The reason these are better is because a tart crust is closer to being like a cookie. It's made with sugar, giving it a almost shortbread like flavor.
So I made them last night and they turned out like this...

Pretty darn cute, huh?
The recipe calls for fresh squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest, neither of which I had. My substitution, suggested by my mother, was orange zest and fresh orange juice. Even though I haven't tried this recipe with the lemon, I think using orange worked to my benefit. Oranges are naturally sweet and tangy, so I'm pretty sure this addition added some extra perk to the filling.
Getting the dough into the mini muffin tins was a pain in the ass. What you're doing is trying to get a piece of dough smaller than a gum-ball to coat the inside of one section of the mini muffin tin. I tried using a rolling pin to fltten the dough out, but it didn't work. I don't know why, it just wouldn't cooperate with me. I ended up flattening the dough balls with my hands until they were slightly bigger than the top of a muffin tin section. From there I pressed the circumference of my dough disk onto the top of the muffin divit and slowly pushed it down into the divit, gently pressing against the sides until it reached the bottom. Doing it this way made it much easier to coat the inside of each tin section without tearing the dough.
Here's a link to the recipe origional recipe on the martha website.
Have a happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment